The case for fresh perspectives
One of the things that our clients turn to us for is strong outside-in thinking, applied to insurance innovation and digital transformation.
As part of that, we carry out competitor analysis, digital maturity benchmarking, and customer experience testing. But we also run programmes of “safaris”.
How safaris can help
A “safari” in this context is where we take our clients out to visit other organisations, whose approaches, models, learnings and achievements are worthy of better understanding. A safari normally takes less than half a day, and is a valuable opportunity to learn from others.
In a recent engagement for a large multinational insurer, we have run safaris to a number of in-sector and out-of-sector digital and innovation teams:
- AXA’s global digital function out of Paris
- Monzo, the ground-breaking UK challenger bank
- USAA, the US-based armed forces insurer and financial services provider
- British Telecom’s Infinity Lab, a hotspot of hi-tech open innovation
- International Airline Group’s group digital and innovation function (parent of British Airways and Iberia)
We also run “entrepreneur safaris”, where we use our own cohort of entrepreneurs plus our network of startup / scaleup founders, to inject a fresh perspective into our global insurance client teams’ thinking.
Using outside-in perspectives to help shape culture
Insurance, as a sector, needs to embrace fresher ways of working and new operating models for innovation and digital transformation. Our emphasis on using safaris and other mechanisms to bring the outside-in perspective is testament to our belief that insurers should “change different”.